[UK-CONTEST] Licence changes

David Ferrington M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 03:57:33 EDT 2006

As a recently passed Advanced licensee who only took their Foundation in
2003, let me assure you that I believe the limited number of people who pass
the advanced licence exam is more about having the time to study and the
knowledge to pass the exam than it is about not bothering to go that far -
IMHO

I am not aware of the foundation licence being changed to allow more that
10W - is that the case?
I'm also not aware of Foundation licensees being able to run special event
stations (with call sign), operate oversees through CERT, operate marine
mobile, supervise non licensed interested parties (I'm a scout leader and
run JOTA) etc.

Have I missed something here?

I do agree there has to be an incentive to upgrade and 'probably' the will
of a person to do and prove they can do, their best, may not be enough -
i.e. achievement for achievements sake is not enough.

I would also say that we most certainly do need children and any other
individual who shows and interest - if they really don't care for radio and
just did it as a fun thing to do, they will stop after a while, but unless
we encourage all, you won't have to worry about people ringing you to have a
QSO (do they really do that?) - in 30 years time, there won't be anyone to
QSO with!

On 13/7/06 11:14 pm, "uk-contest-request at contesting.com"

--
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and
breadth and height my soul can reach.