[UK-CONTEST] Re Contest results/publishing etc

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Wed Jun 14 17:26:06 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

Phil said:

> [...]
changes for
next year, or some will be forced to call outside the band limits.
There is also a slightly unfair representation within some clubs. Some of
these are more national than others, with far higher numbers of potential
entrants. How about taking only the top five scores from any one club? Or
limiting it to a local area? Probably not good ideas, but something to think
about, unless you belong to one of the top five clubs.

How do we get new blood into the contesting fraternity? Well, taking 11
months to produce results from IOTA doesn't help in this age of instant
gratification! Even the 80m CC is now suffering slightly, in that the latest
results are actually some 2 months old.>>>>

I think these two points are contradictory. The 80m CC has got more members
of my Club participating in HF contests than anything else ever.  The reason
is simple - peer pressure arising from the concept of teams being as big
as the Club can muster. No longer can members hide behind the excuse "Oh
Buggins is much better at contests than me, he would be better in the team
than me".  I can turn round to them and say 'every single QSO you make counts
towards the Club score'.

This is at odds with the idea of taking only the top five scores.

As to having a geographical restriction, if you want the same Clubs to win
the 80m CC that win the 80m AFS contests, then have similar rules!  At least
the present set of rules for the 80m CC is a big big incentive to encourage
new folk to participate and it also produces a different group of Clubs in
the top three.

And finally, my Club may be a 'national' club, but we only have 30 members.
The key is that we manage to get 20 of them on the air for the 80m CC. There
are 'local' clubs with double that membership who get a dismally small number
QRV.

I do agree with Phil over the amount of spectrum the rules allow us to use.
The QRS corrall idea is good but takes up an unreasonable proportion of the
50kHz allocated for CW.  I think he is right too about the 20kHz for the
data modes.

73

Bob
G3ORY