[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC CW G4BRA QRP

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Thu Jun 15 02:26:45 EDT 2006

Last night was our Bracknell club evening, and we had already put
this in the calendar as a 'night on the air' before I had checked the
CC dates. I decided it was an excellent opportunity to show the rest
of our members what these events are all about.

G4BRA was set up in our church hall using my K2 out of habit at 5W,
battery powered for convenience, and a 90ft inverted V doublet
supported by my DK9SQ 10m pole. Putting up the antenna caused some
interest with the local lads who were playing football when I arrived
- 'What's that sir' - 'you have a radio?', etc as they dived under
the wire on their bikes. I had to wait for the brownies to finish
their session before I could get into the hall to put the station
together, so it was just a few minutes before the start when I got it
on the air. A quick chat with Tom G3OLB proved all was well and with
a 599++ report it was getting out remarkably well.

77 QSOs - rapid fire at the start but as usual tailed off
significantly when the thunder static came up as it got darker. Not a
single GM worked or even heard, was it conditions or lack of
activity? There did seem less activity anyway and I noticed there
were very few making over 100Qs.

At the other end of the church the other club members set up an HF
SSB station with a Windom antenna. There they had quite a lot of fun,
but worked somewhat fewer stations. At one point they rather cheekily
tried 80m SSB and realised it might not be that good idea - thanks
for the s7 hash chaps... Many of our members are not that active
outside events like VHF NFD so it was good to get them on the air.
And they kept wandering in to marvel at my station with a QSO rate
they could only dream at....

Regarding the comments on the CC format. We do indeed have a number
of 'Country Members' - those who have been local members in the past
and have moved away - and welcome the opportunity for them to come on
in these events. Little activity in the SSB sections to date, but you
will see us in the CW and data ones. It is a conversation piece on
our club reflector each time, and we have our own little inter member
challenge. I would certainly like this arrangement to continue, which
we currently cannot do in AFS.

73 Dave G3YMC (many of you seemed to work out it was me on the key!)

http://www.davesergeant.com