[UK-CONTEST] GB5HQ

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 16 09:37:13 EDT 2006

I do see a major problem with this Ed. Firstly the GB5HQ set-up is not
an RSGB sponsored or lead effort. It probably dates back 10 years or
more when Chris GM3WOJ used to put on a station, using GB3RS I think.
 From that beginning it has been developed into a multi-site effort by a
group of motivated contesters with the eventual Ofcom agreement of
simultaneous use of the same callsign from several nominated locations.

Whilst most, if not all, hosts and operators are RSGB members, the
actual connection finishes there as far as I can see. I would guess this
goes for most HQ stations in other countries also. It is amusing at
times when say a (Hull) local station calls us and we give "59 RSGB" and
the guy says "Good to work you people in Potters Bar!"

There seems to be a potential for greater publicity but one of the major
disadvantages is going to be giving away "commercial secrets" to our
competitors, which is why all the discussions are taking place on the
GB5HQ Reflector rather than the UK Contest Reflector. Opening up a
debate in Radcom or on the UK Contest Reflector is going require giving
detail which could compromise our efforts. This is nothing to do with
the RSGB being a secret society.

By the way, I am not a major player in this. I am invited by John G3LZQ
to join the now established team at his house covering 80 CW and 10 CW.
I am sure if he wanted to bring on a substitute he would do so, and I
would be happy to stand aside. John and I have known each other a long
time, I have operated contests from his QTH, he knows my form and that
is how selection needs to be in the main. There is some new blood around
in the teams but as I said before it has to be the choice of the host
since he is the one that can judge whether an operator will fit in and
realise the operating aims of that station.

The weakest link of all is not the GB5HQ effort, it is the UK support
which is well below that of our major competitors.

That is where we need the effort. 12 QSOs per Reflectee would be a nice
start!!

Chris G3SJJ