[UK-CONTEST] GB5HQ

Douglas Maxwell douglas.maxwell at virgin.net
Sat Jun 17 04:13:49 EDT 2006

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and explain the background of
the competition and of your station. From what you have said, I would agree
that their was nothing underhand or secret about the organisation behind
GB5HQ back in 2002. The problem is that to the aspiring contester and the
RSGB members in general, these teams now seem to spring out of nowhere, no
call for operators, no open discussion, no apparent fairness. I have
received a number of 'off and on reflector' e-mails as a result of my
posting, one from one of the biggest stations in Scotland, who was puzzled
at the selection process, having never been invited. Another was  from the
Manx Kippers (MD4K) contest team who have an exemplary contesting record and
have never been invited even after applying last year. There is obviously a
need for being more open when it comes round to selection time to ensure the
best British team possible. The correct place for this in my opinion is the
Radcom, where all RSGB members will see it and who knows, might inspire some
new members to get into contesting! The team work thing is certainly very
important, but I come at this from a different angle where GB5HQ is
concerned, we should all in the same team, this means amongst other things
an open selection process and in return more contacts for GB5HQ.

Douglas Maxwell
GM0ELP