[UK-CONTEST] QRO

Colin G3PSM colin at g3psm.net
Mon May 1 06:00:51 EDT 2006

Chris,

G3SJJ wrote:

>Thanks for the information Colin on presumably your weekend off! (or is
>it the same as usual, volunteers are expected to be available at all
>hours!) (of course, if you are being paid I trust the Society and its
>membership would sanction overtime rates!!)

As is the situation for yourself there is little difference between one
day and another, and yes as a volunteer I am expected to be available at
all times.   In reality the phone comes on at 9 a.m. and goes off at 10
p.m. and at least 3 to 4 hours a day is spent on unpaid amateur radio
administration matters - both RSGB and IARU.

>The power list is revealing and very interesting. I feel there is a case
>for increased power limits for a number of reasons although maybe
>difficult to negotiate. I guess it depends on the level of straight
>talking seen as acceptable. I know in the era Chris WOJ mentions there
>was much double talk when negotiating with the "Authorities," things you
>could say and things you couldn't, and the time gap between meetings was
>painfully long. It would be nice to think things had moved on over the
>last 10 years or so.

The recent changes at Ofcom have been very positive especially with them
taking Rod Wilkinson G3TXA on in a customer services and administration
role.   Rod of course worked at RSGB HQ for 18 months prior to Ofcom
deciding they were taking over the licencing role.   Regular Ofcom/RSGB
policy meetings are held every 4 months or so and we do have daily
email/telephone contact in between to discuss ongoing changes.   We have
been told that there will be some major changes to the BR68 and we have
been promised sight of the draft before it goes to public
consultation.   We are trying to have this document produced in plain
English (and possibly other UK languages?) but as lawyers are involved
it is taking some time.

>- On the basis of business negotiation, I certainly think we should be
>"going in" at 1500w for Full Licencees as Standard. The reasoning being
>that since licensing is now a business activity we should be playing
>them at their own game. If they want to put forward restrictions, then
>THEY must justify them on a technical basis and WE, having the technical
>and operating experience, should be able to counter or negotiate.
>
>- If we are able to talk freely then "Established Precedent" should be
>discussed. Whilst it is painful for some people to accept, creative
>interpretation of power levels has been around for many decades probably
>since licences were first issued. From my own experience I was aware of
>160m DX chasers well exceeding limits in the early 60s and I am sure
>this was not a new phenomonen. I am sure pre-WW2 there were ragchewers,
>DX and contesters using well above prescribed levels as is the case now.
>
>- The list of power limits in Europe should be a very useful negotiating
>tool, and again, it really up to the "Authorities" to advance solid
>technical reasons why these can't be matched. Competing on more equal
>terms for awards in general should be seen as an important reason.
>
>- We do, of course, have to be realistic and accept that some locations
>are just not suitable for high power levels of any sort, but then do you
>condemn all locations to that situation. This is probably where the real
>negotiation begins and I have to say I wouldn't know where to begin.
>Surely though it is worth putting a bid in to test the water?

I am gathering all the comments expressed on this reflector and let's
see how the democratic process works!

73

Colin, G3PSM