[UK-CONTEST] Foundation Licence

Contesting contesting at m5aav.org.uk
Mon May 1 06:50:17 EDT 2006

Quoting from the message of Mon, 01 May 2006 11:35:29 +0100 from Dave
Lawley <g4buo at compuserve.com> :

> Unlike power levels, it would be easy for the amateur community to
> police limitations based on frequency. If we don't want to disturb the
> privileges of existing M3s, then simply move to a new callsign block (M4
> or whatever you like) and limit M4s by frequency. This gives them more
> of an incentive to upgrade. It's a matter of debate whether they should
> be excluded from whole frequency bands, or just limited to segments of
> the HF bands, as is done in the States.

> My suggestion would be that the schedule to the Foundation Licence limit
> the HF frequencies available as follows:
> 1.850-2.000
> 3.550-3.650
> 7.025-7.100
> 10.100-10.150
> 14.050-14.250
> 18.068-18.168
> 21.050-21.250
> 24.890-24.990
> 28.000-28.450
> Note that I would not apply a limit on the WARC bands since those bands
> remain under-used, despite the fact that (or perhaps because?) they are
> a haven for non-contesters during major contest weekends.

At the moment I cannot locate it [the relevant BR68, that is] but I am
sure I recall that when issued with 2E0AQZ back in '97, we [the old
Novices] were limited frequency wise, and to operate 'properly' on VHF I
used to switch to G8UYD.

Cue the Historians.

73 Graham, M5AAV  [who causes problems running 100 watts at this
location <smile>]