[UK-CONTEST] Foundation Licence

Alex GM3ZBE alex at gm3zbe.plus.com
Tue May 2 16:33:53 EDT 2006

Hi all,
I think there is a classic dilemma here.  We really do need to attract
new people into the hobby but on the other hand we don't want to import
the worst aspects of CB.  If in time the majority of foundation
licensees never progress then the whole ethos of amateur radio is going
to change significantly.  One could argue about whether that is
desirable.

I used to like nothing better than to tune into an Amateur radio
conversation while building my latest project.  The conversation would
usually be of a technical nature, probably from other hams who would
talk about Dx'ing, building stuff or talking about aerials.  Nowadays it
is difficult to find such a conversation, it is more likely you will
hear discussions about totally non amateur radio stuff.  That was
because the entry barrier ensured a reasonable level of technical
knowledge.  Was that a bad thing?  Or is it me who is turning into an
Old fart?  Whether that is the case or not - if it were not for CW and
contesting,(both of which require effort and application over a period
of time to acquire skill), I think I would be considering packing it in.

Alex

Member of: DeMontfort University A.R.S, RSGB, ARRL,
CDXC, GMDX group, G-QRP, RAOTA.
Cushcraft MA5B review at
http://www.sonikblue.co.uk/g3zbe/Ma5b.htm
Alex Allan (O.D. & E.C.)