[UK-CONTEST] more spectrum for data

Daniel Schlieper daniel.schlieper at tuxomania.net
Thu May 11 05:00:48 EDT 2006

Dear Contesters,

the data section of the RSGB 80m Club Competition is happening within
20 kHz. According to the bandplan, 10 kHz (3.580-3.590 MHz) is reserved
for modes using 200 Hz or less. That does not include RTTY, which has the
other 10 kHz assigned (3.590-3.600 MHz).

10 kHz are just enough space for 20 RTTY stations. When the bandplan is
ignored, there are another 14 in the segment 3.583-3.590 MHz, which is
within the rules, but not within the bandplan. Are the rules older than
the bandplan?

What about this idea:

Wouldn't it be nicer if we spread out a little bit? We could change the
rules and allow up to 3.620 MHz (or so) for RTTY. The bandplan has "all
modes" for this segment.

That would not only improve the operating conditions on RTTY, but would
also give 10 kHz to the narrow band modes (PSK31 and PSK63 for the 80mCC),
a vast improvement on the 3 kHz segment reserved for PSK now. Actually, at
the moment, it is 3 kHz minus the QRM of some frustrated RTTY operators
who end up in the PSK section, seriously spoiling the party.

With 10 kHz for PSK, working QRP could be fun (and very successful). A
wide band segment would promote the use of PSK far more effectively than
the current rule with one point per mode.

What do you think?

73 de Daniel M0ERA, Surrey