[UK-CONTEST] HF NFD Rules

G3RIR g3rir at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 09:10:34 EDT 2006

I thinkI have proved my point sufficiently.

The rule about allowing two receivers as long as they are in one box clearly
has some significant failings.

To provide a level playing field all one has to say is either

1. Only ONE receiver should be used in any form at all during the contest.

or

2. TWO receivers may be used and may be provided in any form but any
additional receivers in boxes in use shall not be used at all during the
contest.

contestants are reminded to obey the letter and SPIRIT of the rules.

A level playing field is then achieved;. FT1000D owners can use both
receivers in the box or indeed a separate receiver in some other box as long
as no more two recievers are used for the duration of the contest. Any
nonesense like I am only using this receiver for a moment and I am not using
the other one as my headphones are not switched and therefore I am not using
more than one receiver is clearly against the SPIRIT of the rules. The same
applies to extra transmitters and fancy lock out switching.

To have brought in the rule to attempt to legalise those who were at best
bending the rules by being tempted to use the second receivers has brought
about clear problems. It would have been better to simply emphasise the
SPIRIT of the rules.

It is perfectly reasonable for any group to try maximise their efforts
providing it is within the letter and SPIRIT of the rules. Those who do not
follow the SPIRIT of the rules will know it themselves and any victory they
achieve they will know is hollow.

But to specifically allow two receivers providing they are in one box
clearly disadvantages those who do not have such boxes which have truly
independent receivers. I guess the Orion has two independent receivers but
it is beyond my current budget so I don't know.

73 all de Neil, G3RIR

I will attempt now to keep quiet on the matter as the rules will not change
for this years NFD so we work within them.

.