[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB - G2F

Jim Balls jim at j1mbo.f9.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 10:35:22 EST 2006

Your right, I sent it with my webmail account, now I'm home let's try again!

Hi all

CQWWSSB Score Summary Sheet

Band QSOs Pts Cty ZN

1.8 186 206 47 8

3.5 341 402 58 11

7 199 336 69 16

14 540 1006 93 28

21 284 521 91 24

28 150 202 54 14

Total 1700 2673 412 101

Score : 1,371,249

Rig : FT1000MP MKV Field - Kenwood TL922

Antennas : Spiderbeam @ 60ft - 40m Moxon @ 30ft - Battle Creek Special
40,80,160 - Beverage to NW - 40/80m Dipole

Well here at G2F we operated for the whole 48hrs in Multi Single HP All
Band. The MKV Field was a new acquisition only a couple of weeks ago
from John G4IRN, it now has the Inrad roofing filter and a set of Inrad
2.1Khz filters for SSB.

The Spiderbeam was prooven in the location and seemed to work well
leading up to the contest. The Moxon and Battle creek were really
unknown and never used in anger.

Post contest I feel the Moxon needs work as the F/B seemed poor and it
really needs to be up at 60ft, That I feel will happen during the
winter. Last winter we built a trailer for the 60’ versatower we had and
it work very well indeed.

The MKV was a challenge, none of us had ever used the FT1000 series
before and I’m not sure we are getting the best out of the radio. I’d
like to visit a station that uses a MP series to see how they would use
it in anger and hopefully pick up some pointers, failing that a
discussion over email would be most welcome.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice on the filtering earlier this
year but we haven’t the depth of operators or the pockets to put a
serious Multi Single on the air.

Again we seem to struggle on 40m from the east coast, every contest this
year and seemingly for the last couple of years 40m has been poor with
runs of DL’s eluding us, I guess with the low sun spot the further west
you can get the better chance of DL’s

It was very difficult to build any sustainable runs on any band, maybe I
should question our operating techniques as I’m sure with the antenna’s
listed above we should have managed some good runs.

Operating during the RTTY leg a few weeks back we had some fantastic
runs, maybe just conditions didn’t suit us on the east coast.

The other problem we had was the 2 in G2F, we had station after station
thinking it was a 3, do any others with a 2 in the call experience this?

Anyway I’m now looking forward to the WAE RTTY which will be a casual
entry of maybe 24 hours over the whole weekend, that’s if I can the MKV
to play ball on RTTY

Regards,

Jim M0CKE