[UK-CONTEST] Fw: HF Beam/WARC dipole on same mast

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 5 09:24:10 EST 2006

An interesting discussion as I have enough tubing and a center insulator
to make a 17m dipole, and with a couple of Cushcraft traps from W&S
could turn it into a 17/12m dipole. A 30m wire delta loop works well so
I don't need anything else for that band.

The 12ft stub mast supports my 160m dipole so I wouldn't want to go too
high up the stub mast. I did wonder about mounting it on the boom,
somewhere between the A4S driven element and the 10m reflector.

I was thinking of assembling the 17m dipole up on a 20ft scaffold pole
to take some measurements first, and then re-measure when it is
installed on the boom or stub mast. Likewise I will carefully note swr /
impedance readings on the A4S before and after installation. Should have
done this in warmer wx, but then antenna work isn't as interesting
without frost, wind, rain etc!!

A friend of mine G3VMK has modeled and built 2 element monobanders for
12 & 17m and installed them on the same boom as his A3S without any
problems. I'll try and get some details from him.

Chris G3SJJ