[UK-CONTEST] 80MCC: Data Legs

Stewart Rolfe gw0etf at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 17 03:01:21 EST 2006

Michael Ruttenberg G7TWC wrote:
> Just because I don't CW doesn't mean that it should be abolished for those
> of you that do enjoy it.
>
> I know some CW ops who don't like SSB and partake as little as possible in
> it. Doesn't mean they want to remove SSB contesting.
>
> I do RTTY and enjoy it. Does that mean mean that it should be abolished
> because someone else doesn't like it?
>
> If you do't like it, don't do it. No-one is forcing anyone to particpate.
> Besides, if enough ops in a club get in the air for the CW and SSB legs then
> it's not the end of the world to have fewer/no ops in a Data leg of HFCC.
>
> *puts on tin hat*
>
> Mike
> G7TWC

I blame the rsgb 80m cc contests for my involvement in data, realising
that I have the necessary kit to eke out a few more points for our
rather apathetic club. Still feels very mechanical and robotic to me and
amusingly I still find myself trying to bale out of cockups by
instinctively reaching for the paddle.....as far as it goes however I
think I can say I enjoy it..
A fascination with the technology also drives me to a certain extent -
PSK is a particularly interesting mode and is due in great part to the
efforts of fellow amateurs. Also interesting the way an old mechanical
mode like RTTY has been enhanced by modern techniques like DSP.
73,
Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF