[UK-CONTEST] Google Earth vs Microsoft

Cooper, Stewart coopers at odl.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 11:12:27 EST 2006

A long time ago (it seems) I used to take these photographs for a living. I flew at 6000ft using a camera that cost more than the helicopter. We were contracted by Ordnance Survey, etc. to provide high definition photos to update mapping detail, which included areas of coastline, and 'things' which had been erected or moved recently (like masts, navigational bouys and lights, etc). I think it's unlikely that the whole of the UK is photographed at hi definition (yet). You use two photographs of a known distance apart to determine height in a stereoscopic fashion - so we did runs at a fixed height at a fixed speed and took a snap every x seconds. From that the detail is phenomenal.
>From that height (I'm deliberately not saying what height) you can actually make out the brand of margarine in a carrier bag being carried by a person walking down the street. Or even more scary, the margarine tub sitting on a kitchen worktop, taken at an angle through the window, near the edge of a vertical photo. So whatever ends up in Google is a far cry from what is really available.
BTW There is an amateur radio overlay on Google.

Stewart
GM4AFF
(currently /HL)

Stewart Cooper
Maintenance Systems Engineer

ODL
Buchanan House  Summer Street  Aberdeen  UK  AB10 1SJ

Tel (Direct) +44 (0)1224 628039
Tel (S'board) +44 (0)1224 628000
Fax +44 (0)1224 643325