[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC's and the data leg

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 17 16:26:43 EST 2006

I can understand what you are implying Don, but what those of us who are
complaining are concerned about is the slow but quickening move from
actually listening to the station to its display on a screen. You
mention improvements in technology, TRF, Superhet etc. Yes, but all the
time the signal in the end had to be decoded by human ears. Whilst
typing this, I am listening to 5A7A on 160m, note not watching it on a
screen!

I recall just five or so years ago helping a local group at SSB FD, they
were OK running States on 15m because the band was wide and very little
QRM, move to 20m and the rate dropped. 80 and 40 overnight, forget it.
They couldn't H E A R.

I take your point though. I mean, even recently in Radcom we had an
article about TV cameras in the 1950 and 60s. State of the art, eh?

(Again, not meant abusively)

73 Chris G3SJJ