[UK-CONTEST] Tower Question

Clive GM3POI gm3poi2 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 21 11:09:30 EST 2006

Yes the idea about the studs is fine. I used plastic water pipe and used
plate steel to make some big washers for the lower part of the studs. Mine
were 25mm studs and I had to use 10 cubic metres of concrete (it's a large
tower).
    I would try to avoid steel guying as it will require insulators to break
up otherwise resonance's in the guy system and at 28mhz that's a lot of
insulators. The other thing to keep in mind with guying crank up towers is
that the horizontal wind speed will be transformed into downward force on
the crankup cables leading to possible problems.
    I speak from experience in having an 8mm new crankup cable break (mid
wire) during a 130mph storm, I have since changed to 11mm cable!!. 73 Clive
GM3POI