[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW

Mike Harris mike.harris at horizon.co.fk
Mon Nov 27 14:06:19 EST 2006

G'day folks,

Unleashed my microHAM CW Keyer for the first time this weekend, driven by
SD.  Worked perfectly well albeit it gives a feeling of semi-detachment
from the CW.  I am, however, having some difficulty coming to terms with
the slight difference in timing between the microHAM and the internal
keyer in my K2.  Both in iambic mode B.  Having driven the K2 since 2000 I
find I can be all over the place with the MH, extra trailing dot, and I am
also falling out with the Bencher.  Problem is that when having to do an
extra-contest exchange, expecting problems leads to problems.  Also with
the PC keying it is so easy to adjust the speed to match the station you
are calling so that when jumping to the paddle I tripped up by sometimes
being way too fast for my hand sending.  Also the other guy thinks you can
read general stuff at his speed, doom.  At the other end of the scale the
last country worked was HR1, the guy was sending slow but without any
spaces between letters.  It was like trying do decode a string of DNA.

Anyway, what started as a dabble turned into a very selective S&P hunt for
DXCC over the weekend.  Called all the G's I heard (not many), worked the
Voodoo's on four bands, caught 5A7A on 10M and filled in a few band slots.
Fun to tune around deciding upon who to drop a new mult on in the last
five minutes.

186 QSO - 97 countries worked (had 100+ in the sights).

10M - 9 zones, 13 countries
15M - 17 zones, 60 countries
20M - 30 zones, 63 countries
40M - 1 zone, 1 country (TZ5A)

A satisfactory and fun weekend, shame about the missing three countries,
it all dried up in the last couple of hours.  The check log is away.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO