[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW GW8IZR

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 06:52:53 EST 2006

Hi all

Single op unassisted low power.

  Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty   ZN
    3.5     157    237   51   13

Only managed a few hours S&P. Strange conditions with very little G
activity, only heard + worked G0WKW G5W and M6T all 9++ but no one
else.. I worked more GM's than G. I didn't hear a single GW in the few
hours I was on.

Someone mentioned earlier that they were called by a lot of stns "in
country" and concluded that they probably didn't understand the rules.
I'm sure this is the case, I know a few people who if they just stumble
across a contest in progress they will try to give a few points away,
they are just trying to help out.

Decided to run without the amp to see how much harder it would be and I
don't suppose anyone here needs telling that it was...

West coast and Canada still just about audible at 12:00 on the Sunday
which was good to hear.

Moving the end of my dipole away from the vertical seems to have made
quite a difference, there is now a much more noticeable difference
between the two antennas.

Got more used to ESM this time.

Worked LW for an all time new one... I wondered why LW was in zone 14
till I tuned back and realised it was LX.. thought he was a bit loud.

As usual, it was easy to spot the FT1Klicks ..

Spent a fair bit of wasted effort calling auto cq'ers while their owners
were off making coffee or working mults, SO2R might be good from your
end of the deal :-)

Originally planned to make a half serious effort on 160m but it turned
out to be an abysmal weekend due to some domestic issues.. local youth
decided to go on a vandalism spree in the village, caused loads of
damage to property / cars / windows. so after that didn't feel much like
hobbies.

Managed to work some nice dx though and I suppose I can draw some
pleasure from cracking a couple of pileups with low power.

Take 100 lines - I Promise to be more committed next time..

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com