[UK-CONTEST] Lattice tower information page

John Lemay john at carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 03:19:30 EDT 2006

Hi Chris

A most interesting web page. In publishing such information you are open to
comments and criticisms from those who "know better". Well, I'll leave that
up to them !

But I wanted to add a matter of detail in how my own tower is installed
(EP45 BP): I already had a suitable concrete base, which had supported a
previous smaller mast. I was letting the neighbours get used to the idea,
and waiting for a second-hand Versatower to come up for sale locally, which
it did.

The concrete base was large enough (4ft square and 6ft deep) but of course
it had no fixings for the new base plate. Following discussions with the
manufacturer, about 10 years ago, I purchased some Rawlbolt Chemical
Anchors, or Kemfix as they are sometimes called. Forget domestic Rawlbolts,
these are 24mm diameter bolts, used by highway engineers to fix safety
barriers where alternative fixings are not present.

Drilling four holes 8 inches deep was a real bind, and was difficult using
the biggest Kango I could hire locally, but aside from that the fixing is a
breeze. And given reasonable temperatures, the chemical sets ready for full
load within a hour.

I've used Nylock nuts, and covered the top extremity of exposed thread with
a heat-shrink thingy, to lessen the chance of damage or deterioration of the
bolt, should I need to undo things eventually.

Regards

John G4ZTR