[UK-CONTEST] Short Calls

MM0DFV mm0dfv at scotham.net
Tue Sep 5 15:44:47 EDT 2006

Hi Tom,
I see your position...

> It is a licence requisite that in case of
> emergency or interference, that OFCOM or whoever is in charge can
> contact the station, therefore we are required
> to give OFCOM details of where we are operating from

We don't report to OFCOM when we use normal club callsings, such as
GM4AGG/p... do we? It could be any location within Scotland. What is a
difference to SCC?

> It is the RSGB policy that short or special calls may not be used in
> RSGB Contests to avoid any one club having an advantage
> over another by virtue of its call.   You will note that GB etc calls
> are not allowed in RSGB Contests.

I don't ask about GB callsigns, I don't bother... We do use SCC in IOTA
Contest, is it not RSGB's contest? Germans, for example, they use short
callsigns in RSGB contests... others as well... is RSGB policy for the UK
stations only? I don't see any advantage for us then... Pointless policy.

> It is also the case that other "special" calls should not be used in
> Contests either by the interpretation of the rules.

I didn't mention special event stations...... they are NOT for contest use
naturally...

> Whilst we may not like all the rules, we have two choices -
>
> Obey the rules and dont moan or
>
> Join the HFCC and try to have them changed.

Tom, you forgot another choice:-

As long as HFCC is not on the Moon... they are part of us, why not to
suggest them to change these rules?

> But, remember, some of the rules are made by OFCOM and not the RSGB who
> may have little or no say.

OFCOM has no idea what is a difference between WAE Contest and ARI
Contest... what is a point for them to restrict us in using SCC in other
contests, you don't breach your license regulations... it's what they need.

> To send GM4A/P is crazy as it has the same number of characters as
> GM4FDM - which defeats the reson for having a short call in the first
> instance.

Tom, you forgot to put /p to your call sign, I meant portable operation, so
GM4FDM/p is 2 characters longer :) In CW you roughly transmit 2 characters a
second. For 1 hour you send your call sign at least 150 times = you spend
150 seconds in hour to send these 2 extra characters = 2.5 min in one hour x
24 hours = you have disadvantage -60 mins... so basically GM4A has 1 hour
advantage against GM4FDM in any 24-hour CW contest, and so on...

> By all means, loby the RSGB  HFCC to increase the number of Contests
> where short calls can be used, but I would
> disagree with allowing them in RSGB Contests for the reasons stated.

Thanks Tom for your opinion.

73! Jurij MM0DFV