[UK-CONTEST] RadCom and contests

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 02:54:36 EDT 2007

FWIW - copy of my mail sent to Radcom editor.

Editor,

I wish to protest at the truncation of the contest results table as
published in the May 07 edition of Radcom (P67)

The club calls contest is a powerful tool in recruiting new contest
operators within a club and the publication of the full results is
essential.

I would imagine that most who take part in a contest would like to see
their results tabulated in the societies magazine, particularly if its
an RSGB sponsored event.

Perhaps your decision to truncate the results was intended as a
subliminal anti contest message? If so, is that your personal view or
that of the society?

Forgetting all about content, a quick measure here shows 40 inches of
blank space which equates to approximately four complete pages of unused
space. This is distributed throughout the mag to accommodate the new layout.

On the contest pages there was room to place all of the results without
compromising font size by just using a little more care with the layout.

I believe the magazine has improved over the last year or so in terms of
content but take care when alienating your readership. I have never felt
the need to complain to the editor of QST.

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com