[UK-CONTEST] Radcom Contest Reporting

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 26 06:39:51 EDT 2007

Jim, that isn't the point.

The RSGB supports, encourages and sponsors contests. Indeed it owns over
50 trophies, some of which are around 70 years old and quite valuable.
The President awards the trophies at an annual ceremony. Many contesters
have served on Council over the years. Some of those were also members
of the HF and VHF Contest Committees and became President. G3FKM, G3HCT,
G4JKS and G3OZF (G3BJ) I recall in particular. These people also went on
to hold responsible positions within IARU. They all understood the value
of contesting to the Society and its members.

The problems we encounter are solely Radcom based and seems to get worse
with each recent Editor. (Indeed previous General Managers have
appreciated and supported contesting!) Radcom is the official journal of
the RSGB and as such should report on the various activities in its
portfolio. It is also provides an historical record of those activities.
Contesting comes firmly within this mandate.

ALL entrants of RSGB sponsored contests are entitled and should have
their callsign recorded.

We should also be pointing out that :
 - many of those people the Editor has chosen to disregard have
contributed to his salary.
- The portfolio of RSGB sponsored contests has been reduced over the
years. One of the main reasons being to appease Editors. If we still had
the full complement would would probably require twice the space we have
now!

Chris G3SJJ