[UK-CONTEST] OT: RSGB move and QSL bureau - closure?

Colin colin at g3psm.net
Sun Dec 16 08:10:31 EST 2007

Oh dear, even more scaremongering by people who should know better.
Indeed the content of Mike's email is almost word for word the same as
that recently sent to a UK DXing organisation, but under a different
name and callsign.   A touch of fifth columnism and disinformation going
on here I guess.

We could probably fill RadCom with pages of things that the Society is
not currently doing, but what the majority of members want to know is
what we _are_ doing.

Yes we are hopefull that the move of the administration centre will be
completed by the end of March.   Yes the QSL bureau will not be moving
to Bedford but let's get some facts into focus taking into consideration
that the source of this information might be a disaffected staff member.

I quote - "their tiny new premises".   Those of you that might have
visited the Potters Bar premises will probably be aware that the 557.4
square metres (5,993 square feet) of office space that it occupies was
right in 1982 when HQ moved from central London and the staffing levels
were increased to 40+.   Indeed there were 11 members of staff working
on RadCom alone  at that time.   These days the staff level stands at 23
and the building is somewhat cavernous with a lot of unused space.   So
the "tiny new premises" of just over 179 square metres (1,927 square
feet) will be more than adequate for the proposed 16 or so members of
staff that will transfer to Bedford.   Also taken into consideration is
the fact that the 23 current staff members include 5 part-timers, 3 of
whom job share in the QSL bureau.

I see that Don G3XTT has just responded to Mike's email so I will finish
with the following - the QSL bureau was only brought in house during the
1980s when licence numbers were exceeding expectations and the then
Bureau manager could no longer cope.   QSL numbers have dropped since
that time and a return to outsourcing is currently being looked at.
There is no question of someone handling it who has no knowledge or
experience of the QSL business and the current system of sub-managers
will continue.

And Sabre rattling doesn't work on me Mike.

73

Colin, G3PSM