[UK-CONTEST] Contests or QSLs?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 16 13:36:16 EST 2007

Didn't anyone get on in the weekend's contests? I'd much rather read
about that.

I made the obligatory couple of hundred QSOs in the Croatian contest,
well 230 to be exact in 38 countries- just a couple of hours poodling
around on 14Mhz only as usual for this point in the sunspot cycle ( 23,
24?). The only UK station I heard was Lee/G0MTN who was (strangely)
deathly weak.

Yesterday there was remarkable propagation to AC7P in Idaho around
16:15z. I had enormous difficulty copying his exchange as his LP signal
was stronger than his SP signal off the back of my little C3SS. I assume
that he was beaming LP, but not sure of course. At first I thought it
was just QRM until I wised up and realised that the QRM immediately
ceased when he stopped transmitting! I didn't notice the effect on any
other  zone3/4 signals, so perhaps they were all beaming SP as was I?

Today I left the beam due West, and was called by VU in the East ( as
well as Europe), and from VO1 to LU in the West on that heading. A
remarkable amount of activity in this one as per the past few years, and
the usual gignormous signals from 9A.

I made just 34 QSOs in the OKOM RTTY contest yesterday with quite a lot
of West coast stuff in there. Just worked zones 3,4,5,9 &14 beaming due
West. RTTY is not really my bag, but is marginally more interesting than
QSL cards which I find mind numbingly boring!- ymmv.What on earth is the
Naval contest that rears its head every few months and always clashes
with another event!

73

Clive