[UK-CONTEST] RSGB Move & QSL

Tom Wylie t.wylie at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 17 08:19:58 EST 2007

Personally speaking I am in two minds about the whole QSL
business.   When I was a Short Wave Listener in the 60s it
was my dream / ambition to achieve DXCC... now some 40 years
later with drawers full of QSL cards I have achieved that
ambition to be on Honour Roll.   Not No 1 yet, but getting
there.

In the last 10 years we have had the computer / internet
revolution and I often wonder what the next 10 years will
bring (apart from my old age pension and more arthiritis).

WE have Logbook of the World an ARRL iniatitive which was
supposed to make life easier for those collecting cards
towards DXCC, and I must say, that for me - it has.  Yet, I
keep getting requests for cards which have already been
accepted on LOTW - how strange is that.   We have E-QSL (I
dont use it myself) another electronic medium.   More are
popping up every other month.

It makes me wonder just how relevant the paper QSL really is
and for how long it will survive until it becomes just
another relic....   There are many things we have been
forced into now a days because of technology and dare I use
the word progress.

Buro systems throughout the world are bursting at the seams
with tea chests full of unwanted / unclaimed cards and it
costs a fortune in trees, time and money to ship these
around the world.   There are many National Societies who
require members to pay a fee to use their buro system,
perhaps this is not a bad idea.   It might reduce the volume
of unwanted cardboard lying within the buros.  (How many
times have you received a card from DK0EE ((for example))
for a Field Day QSO one 160,80,40,20,15 and 10m     Sure
some label programmes allow you to enter them all on the one
label - some dont and you get an envelope full of cards.)
But you get the idea!

With awards schemes, you will always get the odd cheat - but
then they are only cheating on themselves,  nobody else
actually cares.   Perhaps now is the time for ARRL to move
one step further and amalgamate DXCC and LOTW and only allow
electronic applications.    Hoots of derision I hear, maybe,
but I venture to suggest that the vast majority of DXCC
users NOW - do have access to a computer and the ability to
update their DXCC without the use of individual cards.   It
is up to the ARRL to devise a suitable additional security
measure to defeat any prospective cheaters.   They already
have Field Checking - just think laterally and take it a
step further.

Having said all that - I am a QSL Manager.   I actually
enjoy searching through that box of cards from the buro just
incase there is a wee gem lurking at the bottom.

I dont use a sub-manager anymore.  I have my own box at HQ
due to the volume of cards I receive.   As I dont have
pre-stamped envelopes lying with a sub-manager, once or
twice a year I send a cheque to the RSGB Buro to cover my
postage costs.   Perhaps more people could be persuaded to
do this also - every little counts.

Providing the service to members doesn't change,  it makes
no difference to us the member, whether the QSL Buro is in
house or out-sourced.   But lets cut down on the number of
unwanter cards flying around.   Dont say at the end of your
QSO -   "QSL via the buro fer sure 100%".....  I avoid
mentioning QSLs on ssb and CW and in my digital memories I
use the phrase:
"My QSL is OK direct / LOTW / or BURO - IF YOU NEED A CARD!"

I dont send a card for every QSO I make.   The final
courtesy of a QSO is NOT a QSL card.   It is a relic of days
gone by....

Now, what was the question??

Tom
GM4FDM