[UK-CONTEST] GI0RTN - Irish 80 metres counties contest

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 16:54:23 EST 2007

GI0RTN (@GI3PDN)

Setup: FT1000MP, 100W (yes, I backed the power output off you suspicious
lot), dipole at 22 metres. Fandabidozie QTH.

QSOs 105 (incl. 1 dupe), 27 Counties, total score 9045

SSB: IR 67 DX 20

CW: IR 10 DX 7

Dupes 1

Missing mults: Tyrone (uh?), Sligo (even bigger uh?), Monaghan
(disappointing - didn't hear EI2GVB about), Carlow (no great surprise) and
Longford (would have been amazed to work one). DX means GB plus IOM. No
continental QSOs.

Hangover factor - only about 3/10. Probably the most understated New Year's
Day hangover since I passed the legal drinking age. No sore head, no sore
stomach, just a little bit thirsty and tired.  Endless supply of cups of tea
and sandwiches from Ray and Margaret sorted that.

I worked four stations in Leitrim. I didn't even know that many people
*lived* in Leitrim.

Thanks to GI3PDN for the great hospitality and from getting up early on New
Year's Day and making a 25 mile round trip through the wind pick me up from
GI0PCU's New Year's Eve party.

Humble apologies to G4BUO for calling him Chris *AGAIN*. My New Year's
resolution is to be more forbearing of people who call me Lee.

Hourly rates - 49/33/22. You soon run out of people to work in this contest.
CW activity thin but a lifesaver in the last hour. I am too much of
contester for this contest - it get's up my nose when I get beaten out when
S&Ping a mult and then spend three minutes listening to Billy and Peadar Og
exchanging news of their extended families. Also the only contest where
people routinely give you their name, and some even give you their WAI
square. Maybe I needed to relax and get into the spirit of the contest more?
Probably needed more drink the night before to do that. Don't think it would
do me any good anyway. GI3PDN: "I can see you get a real adrenaline rush
from all this." Oh, yeah!

The band went very quiet and mushy around 1400 for half an hour, then ever
louder G stations towards the end of the test as the skip lengthened. Some
monster signals from GI and North Leinster all afternoon.

I didn't hear any other triple digit serials so my fingers are crossed.
EI2JD was only one QSO behind me when I worked him at 1328 but think he will
be in the SSB only category. Was 15 ahead of EI4BZ at 1411 and 9 ahead of
EI2CA at 1424. Thanks to M5FUN, G3YMC and G4BUO from calling in from deep
South East England for the best 'DX'. All the support from across the water
is greatly appreciated.

All in all, a very pleasant New Year's afternoon of contesting.

Athbliana shona duit/73

Gerry G(I)0RTN
Vanity Page at http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk
"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."