[UK-CONTEST] Heil Headset Question

Paul Beecham paul at prolectric.co.uk
Sat Jan 6 09:00:42 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Hunter" <frank.hunter at ntlworld.com>
To: <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] Heil Headset Question

Callum M0MCX wrote:

Hi Callum!

> Anyway, since many of you guys here have experience of these, is there any
> use in spending the extra £50 for a switchable HC-4 and HC-5 when I will
> only use the HC-5? Perhaps these headsets are fundamentally different /
> more
> comfortable etc etc..???

IMHO (and bear in mind I don't use SSB that much) you'd probably be
better going for the Pro-Set with an HC-5 insert rather that a Pro-Set
Plus with both inserts. Why? The Pro-Set is a lot lighter and more
comfortable than the Plus and with DSP TX equalising available on modern
rigs as standard you can make the HC-5 insert sound just as shrill and
piercing as the HC-5! I spent quite a bit of time a few months ago
messing around with various settings before reaching these conclusions,
BTW the best brightest audio was produced by a an old Shure 444D which
made the Heils sound positively "muddy" I have the samples here in MP3
format, if you'd like them just ask.

73, Frank GI4NKB