[UK-CONTEST] CW speed - my thoughts

G4FNL g4fnl at bubloz.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 16:52:13 EST 2007

Guys

I don't usually pass comment - but reading the thread that's been forming -
I have a feeling that what is lacking is a lack confidence in one's own
ability. As Bob and others have been stating - don't be afraid to have a
go - and don't worry (too much) about the consequences.

I too can remember making tentative steps into the contesting arena when I
first licenced in the mid 1970's. I made a complete mess of the first few
QSO's / contests. However, after a while, things did improve. Nowadays,
whilst I don't count myself in the elite contesters in the country, I can
make and retain a fairly decent rate. However, I do still want to improve -
much more. Also, as others have commented, I get a kick out of beating my
previous score, but better still - beating someone, who beat me previously.

What helped me in my early days was being quite young and having the time
and ability to learn CW, without all the other distractions that come along
later in life. Also, I had licenced radio ham friends who were close by, and
with whom I could practice sending and receiving CW. I also used to
occasionally record my own sending, and play it back to myself. I was
horrified and embarrassed at how I was sending joinedupcharacters in CW. I
subsequently learnt to send with better spacing. Anyway, nowadays, I still
make sending errors and silly mistakes - but hopefully not too many!

Most recently, I have played around with PED, RUFZ and Morserunner. These
are all excellent tuition tools. However, it seems to me that there is
probably no real substitute for making QSO's in either contest or in ragchew
scenarios, to hone those CW receiving skills.

I mentioned before, that I was lucky enough to have friends locally who also
shared an interest in CW. I suspect that these days, if my local club is
anything to go by, that such "Elmers" are in decline. Personally, I have
offered the option on a number of occasions, for anyone from my local radio
club, to pop over to my QTH or a club station, during one of the short RSGB
contests, just to sit in or maybe operate if they want, just to see what
this contesting thing is about. So far, I have received zero interest. My
suspicions are that this is fairly typical throughout the country.

Finally, as far as I can see, sending too fast in a contest is not in
anyone's interest. As others have commented, it is less efficient. However,
there seems to be an optimum speed of 28 - 30wpm for the RSGB events. As
with most things in life, it's all a matter of supply and demand. Go too
fast and you'll have to repeat. Go too slow, and the QSO rate falls.

What does anyone else think?

73 Graham G4FNL