[UK-CONTEST] Fw: Demise of CW as a comms medium?

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 06:21:12 EST 2007

Bob wrote:
>Guys,
>
>I wonder if the level of CW activity from the old Eastern Block countries
>is anything to do with the use of CW in their armed forces and the number
>of their conscripts being trained in CW?

Partly; but probably also due to the system where new licensees in the
Eastern Bloc could only operate from authorised club stations, and also
of course because CW remains by far the easiest way for non-English
speakers to work DX.

I don't know if anything like a 20wpm Morse test was required as part of
getting an individual licence in those countries; but it certainly was
in the USA, until recently. If you wanted all the other privileges of
the Extra licence, you also had to take a QSO-style 20wpm Morse test.
Even if someone didn't particularly like CW, that was high enough to
practically ensure that they'd have sufficient skills to operate on the
air.

Despite the huge political differences, the licensing systems of both
countries created a pool of competent CW  operators, who could then
encourage other people to follow on.

I don't share Peter's pessimism. I think there is a very good future for
CW - not as a last-ditch survival mode (as Peter rightly says, that
argument has long passed its use-by date), but as a skill that people
can freely choose to learn, use - and above all, enjoy.

In the UK, of course, we have somehow managed to lumber CW with the
worst of everything. People were forced to learn Morse whether they
wanted to or not, for a Morse Test that for many years bore no relation
whatever to amateur radio. In far too many ways, the UK Morse Tests have
been an active barrier to learning the CW skills you really need: how to
copy in your head, how to actually make QSOs, and how to move on from
12wpm.

The QSO-style Morse Tests were a step in the right direction, but they
were too little, too late, too slow, and still completely locked into
writing everything down. There has always been far too much of the UK
Morse Tests that had to be UN-learned before anyone could start to enjoy
CW.

A minority were lucky enough to fall in with a good crowd, or took up CW
because they discovered a personal need for it; but the vast majority of
amateurs don't use CW at all, and are afraid to try because the learning
curve is too steep and there isn't enough organised help.

And then there's us. Most of us here are far enough up the learning
curve to KNOW what's so good and enjoyable about CW... but it's a very
personal pleasure that we still find it very hard to communicate to
other people, in a way that makes them want it for themselves.

Equally, we don't have many good practical ways to help them. However,
we DO have an opportunity to develop some new ways. There is no need to
'teach to a test'  any more, so we should be steering people straight
towards the skills that are really needed.

Dave's column in Radcom is our shop window, and an excellent marketing
tool... so what can we offer to people?

We cannot rely on anybody knowing a good CW operator and learning from
them. In the UK we are way below the 'critical mass' of numbers required
to make that take off as a national strategy.

It has to be done by computer-based training, not only to make it
available to anyone who wants it; but also so that people can set their
own pace, and can start out by making all their mistakes in private. We
very much need to capitalise on the computer's infinite patience and
tolerance of mistakes, because there's an awful lot of 'fear of failure'
involved in all of this.

As a first step, I'd suggest stepping up the basic character speed of
Farnsworth/Koch trainers to 20s. Perhaps Ray FON or others can comment?

And after that, what else is needed?

Whatever we do, we need to do *something*... for if CW does die out, it
will be this generation of CW operators that let it happen.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK