[UK-CONTEST] Is the writing on the wall?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 22 13:56:26 EST 2007

I submitted a token entry for WAE CW last year, because it
is still-imo-the best conceived event in the contest
calendar, by a considerable margin, requiring the highest
level of skill in respect of the QTC exchanges. Sadly, the
event has been emaciated in recent years, by the allowing of
cluster support, without an unassisted category. DARC have
been at pains to point out that the rules are however, not
immutable, and regularly invite comments thereto. I
therefore congratulated them on their legendary efficiency
in running this contest, whilst simultaneously berating them
for not having a clear unassisted category.

I was therefore saddened, although not entirely surprised to
receive the following response.

<snip>
Thank you for your thoughts.

DX Clusters are available everywhere and it is the hardest
of all rules to
check wether someone has used it or not. Contesting is the
art to unite
excellent operating skills with maximum application of
technology. For the
WAEDC with already 4 classes to compete for 700 logs.
Another two classes
would to much.

We are actually discussing to get rid of the "-" in the
lists indicating non
assistant.

<snip>

Whilst one may sympathise with their predicament in actually
catching the cheats, the second sentence seems to suggest
that the use of clusters is a legitimate application of
technology, a view with which I could have no truck. Several
other major ( in terms of popularity at least) contests have
now also adopted the use of clusters as the default
condition. Although I am no fan of the mid-Atlantic culture,
it seems that those events organised on its shores remain
the bastions of contesting rectitude. I do question however,
whether the writing is on the wall.

73

Clive
GW3NJW