[UK-CONTEST] Pulleys and rope

Steve Bunting stephen.bunting at virgin.net
Mon Jul 9 16:58:35 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

Having relied for a number of years on brute force to pull a portable
mast upright using a gin pole, it seems that it is time to use a pulley
to provide some mechanical advantage. I guess a marine pulley is the
grade to look for? I looked at several websites and there is a baffling
array of pulleys available. Can anyone advise me on the type required?
Also, I am looking for opinions on how many times should one go back and
forth between gin pole and anchor stake to form a usable system? I guess
this could be calculated from first principles, but I am too lazy to do
that!

Finally, I have been told that some contest groups use marine grade rope
for their portable masts. The plan is for this to "last a lifetime" so I
wonder which of the plethora I should choose. Any comments?

73
Steve
M0BPQ