[UK-CONTEST] FT-857 & Logging Software

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 09:03:43 EDT 2007

g0fhm at cqmail.net wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've just sat down to have a few hours stuck in to the IOTA contest...
>
> Problem being, I have downloaded 3 logging programs, and not one supports the
> FT-857 as standard. I've downloaded SD, Winlog32 & N1MM.

I guess the best advice is never try to set up your logger after the
contest has started :-)

I understand that there is no direct support for the 857 under N1MM but
as with many radios the command sets are so similar you can get it to
work by selecting a "similar" radio. I am aware of discussion on the
support group that has resulted in successfully configuring N1MM to work
with an 857 in a SO setup. I've not seen any success with anything more
complex, that includes SO2V.

Here is what the online help says about supported radios :

FT-857
Select FT-817 as radio.
Check out the limitations this radio has under FT-817.

FT-817
19200, N, 8, 1, Handshake, Handshake. FT-718 CI-V Baud "Hi". When using
a USB/Serial adapter set DTR to 'Always on' and RTS 'Always off'.
Bandwidth button in the bandmap is not supported (and not shown).
There are some limitations in the available CAT Codes provided by Yaesu
with the FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897.
The best way to understand what is possible is to take few minutes and
review the available CAT Commands on page 72 (FT-817) 62 (FT-897) 115
(FT-857) of your operating manual.
VFO A/B : It is only possible to switch from one VFO to the other but
there is no way to know by the program if the radio is on VFO A or VFO B.
Narrow CW Filter : There is no CAT Command to set Filters on the radios.

Your best friend with N1MM is the on line search facility, at page
http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/ you will see top right a "google" box,
enter your query into that and you will almost certainly find the
answer. The above information was found using the search string
"supported radios"

The other thing you should do - you really *should* do this as N1MM is a
very comprehensive package that does take some understanding - is join
the yahoo support group which is linked from the above N1MM home page.

HTH

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI