[UK-CONTEST] QSK SSB?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 28 19:48:10 EDT 2007

What am I on about?

Well, as a dyed in the wool CW op. over many years, and
having used QSK since it first became available on TenTec
rigs in the late seventies, it comes fairly natural to me. I
am aware of course that QSK is anathema to some CW ops, who
just freeze in such situations.

I confess to being surprised in a conversation recently with
an experienced SSB contest op. to hear that he is almost
unable to speak intelligibly into the mic. ( say on radio 1
in SO2R), while his ears are being assaulted by audio from
radio 2. On CW, most of my work is done via canned messages,
but occasionally I find it more natural to grab for the
paddle for a fill, rather than stab an F key. Even in SO2R
this no serious problem, and I can e.g. keep watch on a
wanted mult on radio 2 while doing this. In fact if I
couldn't do this, the value of SO2R would be much
diminished.

So my question to you SSB gurus is whether the above
reported phenomenon is a natural physiological limitation of
the mode, or whether it is perhaps the lack of acquired
skill, because traditionally there has been no equivalent to
QSK on SSB. My best guess is that the latter applies, but
since I am hardly able to speak intelligibly into a mic. at
the best of times, I am prepared to be disabused of this
p.o.v.!

73

Clive
GW3NJW