[UK-CONTEST] GI6YM/P NFD

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 18:03:49 EDT 2007

At 10:37 04/06/2007, you wrote:

>Great Field Day weekend... not one drop of rain... and we were in Wales too!

It seems GI was not the place to be this year... the weather was
perfect and cloudless on Friday, hot and muggy on Monday, while on
Saturday and Sunday it was cold and we had absolutely torrential rain
for hours on end, especially in the early hours of Sunday...
refilling the gennie at 3.30 am in a downpour is not fun.  It's just
as well that GI3PDN did that particular piece of dirty work.

As well as that, we were obviously on the fringe of the 10m opening
that started the contest, GI6YM/P had great trouble getting even the
very loud stations to hear us during those first few hours on
10.  And when we worked some very strong stations in DL and even ON
on 10 very early on Sunday morning, there was very little activity on
the band... bah humbug!

Despite all that, a good time was had by GI0RTN, GI0RQK, GI3PDN and
EI5DI.  It has been a while since I laughed as much.  High points
were being called by VP8NO on 20, VK8AV on 40 and having a great
mini-pileup on Top Band for a while when we arrived on the band, due
to our late sunset obviously long after most other people.

1007 valid Qs and I think about 3900 or so points.  10m was the
killer with barely over 30 QSOs on the band.  Interesting that we
seemed to be working GM4AGG on groundwave on both 10 and 20, wonder
where they were QRV from?

73

Gerry G0RTN
http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk
"In days of old, when ops were bold and sidebands not invented
The word would pass by pounding brass, and all were well contented."