[UK-CONTEST] NT to XP file conversions

STEPHEN LAWRENCE stephen.lawrence at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 6 14:20:24 EST 2007

Guys.

Not really a contesting question, but may be will encourage a bit of discussion that we can all learn from.

The organisation that I work for, has many sites, many access levels, and lots and lots of users.

Recently our IT has been upgraded to XP proffesional.

I am working on a project...... err well trying to work on a project, all the permissions to access my files on explorer are wrong.  The system administrator has set everything OK....except his ADD/REMOVE buttons are greyed out.

I have been pulling me hair out today....lots of work backing up...time limits to meet..etc etc etc.  Yea weve all been there.

2hrs on the phone to our IT guys failed to come up with any sensible suggestions.  Their answer was that "you see when you alter something in this area, it takes a few hours to BED IN  was the exact words used....what am I doing here driving a car with a new set of brakes or sitting in front of a nice shinny new PC"......my jokey comment to the guy on the end of the phone was....."are we using colossus, as the main frame",  to which his reply was "what is that?"...... he really didnt have a clue what I was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The penny dropped tonight in as much as the organisation used to be on NT..........we upgraded to XP and the machines were changed over....question is if things have been set up on an NT machine, is there anyway that this is not caompatiable with the XP machine.......????

My knowledge in this area is quite limited.....but I know enough to get by, I would appreciate any suggestions that I could take forward in the morning.

73

Steve
G4EOF