[UK-CONTEST] Voice keyers

Ron Horsley ronhorsley at btinternet.com
Mon May 28 14:06:33 EDT 2007

Hi Adrian,

I have been using a MFJ 434 Voice Keyer for a few years and find it ideal
for what I want, a bit of contesting, DX chasing and voice saving, also
peace and quiet for anyone else around!

My recordings are; CQ this is c/s, c/s; callsign first 2 characters;
callsign full; CQ contest this is c/s; and the 5th programme to suit varying
reports recorded for the occasion. The recordings were made with the same
mic used for the transceiver, an electret of the GBP2 variety which is
acoustically right; the in-built mic gave results I found inferior in
quality. The 434 simply fits in between the plug on your present mic and the
mic socket on the transceiver

I have made a remote 6 button control which is most useful, located very
close to hand, had a problem with this in that the connector was difficult
for me to acquire and an earth connection has been necessary  to the
case/chassis of the MFJ to ensure smooth operation. There is an on going
need to leave VOX off on the transceiever until the MFJ is switched on for
use for it to work correctly, then OK.

Also I use a separate battery pack for the power supply, I believe it is
asking for problems if one uses the same PSU as for the transceiver or any
PSU with earthling that would be common.

Hope this helps,

73
Ron.
G0MRH