[UK-CONTEST] CAROLINA WINDOM

ALEX LISTER alexcom22 at btopenworld.com
Sun Nov 4 19:18:12 EST 2007

Radio Works CAROLINA WINDOM full size 160 antenna help

  Not exactly a contest issue but intend to use it for contesting !
  At Leicester Radio society we have had some problems with this antenna.
  On initial installation this antenna worked OK 80-10 with the internal ATU of the TS960.
  Requiring an external ATU to work on 160..
  It has been up for 12 months or more but now has a problem on 160.
  The Tuning on 160 keeps going off.
  After setting up with a decent external ATU it will work for a short time then go off tune.
  When re tuned it will again maybe work for a couple of overs then go off again.
  We did find some evidence of moisture ingress on the choke despite well
  insulating  coax retraining chords etc etc.
  Choke was dried out and worked for a time but again failed.
  Q. Anyone else getting this problem.
  Q. Does the top xformer also suffer from this problem.
  I am suprised that despite a heavy duty construction and use of sealant by manufacture  product appears to be unreliable.

  Incidently when functioning is a fair antenna the 1/5th tap arrangement means a feed point in more suitable than a centre feed.

Alex Lister G8FCQ

alexcom22 at btopenworld.com

 07711 411 945