[UK-CONTEST] WinKey import

G3RIR g3rir at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 15:37:21 EST 2007

I've found the following on the Revenue and Customs website

Shopping on the Internet

If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that customs
duty and VAT will be payable, as follows:

Customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over.
Import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over.

And of course the Winkey was 64 USD incl. postage etc.

And I was charged 5.49 UKP import VAT and 8 UKP Royal Mail handling.

Those of you who have missed out on paying the import VAT have been lucky.

However, I am certain that I will still have overall excellent value for the
Winkey but I do think it is a rip-off as I am sure sales tax was paid in the
US and what value added have Revenue and Customs achieved I cannot see.

Neil, G3RIR