[UK-CONTEST] Shack heating

gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 18:14:58 EST 2007

Greetings all

...... and install a supplementary power feed to the shack to allow
for electric heating!

Since moving out here back in Aug 2005, my shack has occupied a
Portakabin 26 x 10ft.

One winter of enduring a highland winter (never as bad as some claim
but cold nonetheless) and using an electric heater convinced me for
ever that this is not a good heating source and for 2 reasons:-
1) Its expensive to run and 2) Its not as efficient as gas.

I bought a small gas heater on ebay following a local farmer's
specific recommendation (there are many different kinds available) -
mine was made by Infradex Ltd  (Hoddesdon, Herts) and is called the
'Ubique UH/3' - and it works just great.

Buy a filled 19kg container of Propane gas (mine was 22 quid all in,
including delivery from 8 miles away), put it in the corner of the
shack,  connect it up and away you go.

I doubt very much whether you will need to get a refill inside 2 years
based on average use of the shack throughout the cold months - I have
used less than 20% so far since installation in November 2006 and use
the Portakabin for about 10 hours a day for work and play.

Oh, and there is a bit of a psychological advantage benefit too -
visually that orange glow from the heater has a warming effect,
especially when hunting LF DX on a typical January morning - and the
used matchsticks are great for propping open the eyes when those same
condx are bad!

Hope this helps.

73 de Cris
GM4FAM