[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW G3WPH

Mike Chamberlain g3wph at folly.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 18:42:29 EST 2007

The G3WPH single band 160m LP effort came to an early end about 0630 on
Sunday morning when the SWR went sky high - a trip into the garden revealed
the Helikite (balloon/kite combination) wrapped around the neighbours TV
antenna.  Efforts to gently un-snag the kite by manipulating from the other
end of a 49 metre wire resulted in a burst balloon and an embarrassing mess
10 feet above the apex of my neighbours house. Most of Sunday was spent
taking down the TV antenna, removing the kite and re-installing - but
neighbour is convinced he has a better picture now.

What went wrong was a combination of falling temperature reducing lift in
the balloon, the wind dropped somewhat, and I was using a longer and heavier
(49 metre instead of 40 metre wire) resulted in the helikite taking a dive
under the TV antenna.

The contest did give me a chance to test a pair of switched K9AY loops that
I've installed - they are amazing, both for the lack of noise pickup, and
also the directivity. Pointing to Africa, SA, Caribbean, NA I could usually
copy the DX through the cacophony of EU stations that call and call but
never seem to listen.  By the way that practice is working its way north - I
used to associate it with Mediterranean countries, but its moved through
Germany and even into Denmark.

Status at the time I QRTd was:

QSOs - 424
DXCC - 65
Zones - 14
Points - 42,265

My challenge to G4VGOs 160m record (which I believe he achieved with a
helikite) will have to wait another year.

Mike
G3WPH