[UK-CONTEST] CW sprint

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 18:24:52 EDT 2007

>>From my point of view EI5DI's idea about the exchange is just brilliant !

I found the name was a useful and instant clue (often negative!) when
searching for new stations.  The combination of name and signal
characteristic (sig strength, speed, etc.) was often very helpful in this
respect, as well as providing a personal touch to every QSO.  Rotating the
name would lose both of those benefits, so I'd vote against it.  Grids
aren't particularly interesting or useful on HF, so I wouldn't go that route
(even if I knew what mine was!).  Rotation would in any event render them
completely meaningless.

Most names can be abbreviated to 3 or 4 letters so I don't really see the
problem, also considering the arbitrary differences that already exist in
the callsigns that we each have to live with.
Anyway, we aren't going to change the way the US and EU operate their
sprints, the formula for which has been proven over the years.  If we want
to encourage non-UK stations to join in casually on the night, or even
submit an entry as Pascal F5LEN kindly has, a further (unique) complication
may well be a step too far.

If some people feel really strongly, a possible solution to the "Ed" problem
could be for the rules to mandate a minimum of 3 letters.

 >And what do I do if I QSY and then can't find anyone else to work except
near to where I was before?

Call CQ 5kHz off until someone turns up? :(

73
Peter G3LET