[UK-CONTEST] 21/28 Contest

Darrell G0HVQ g0hvq at talktalk.net
Mon Oct 8 15:59:33 EDT 2007

Not a big station entry by any means, but here's a summary from me.

To sum it up in one word - frustrating. Conditions not too bad considering
we're at the bottom of the cycle, plenty of signals on 21 e.g. heard VK and
YB (amongst others) but had trouble raising them. Loads of new multipliers
from Europe with big signals calling the DX stations, but didn't call me.
The Russians and Ukrainians were the saving grace as usual, plenty of
activity. Only real surprise was catching the 9K2 (presumably before he was
announced on the cluster). 10m opened up a couple of times, but I couldn't
couldn't complete any QSOs before the QSB took signals out.

Hung around until about 4pm local when the 21MHz band appeared to close,
heard other Gs working the US but they were fairly weak with me. Surpringly,
17m was in great form, pity it didn't move up a few MHz .

33 QSOs, 1 dupe, all on 21MHz, pretty even mix between SSB and CW.

On the face of it, don't appear to have done as well as last year, but that
may be because there was more Es on 10m last year, plus thunderstorms caused
a number of people to close down.

Equipment this side was an Icom IC7400, 100W, to a ground-mounted Hustler
4BTV vertical with 8 x 30ft radials.

Let's hope for a few sunspots by this time next year :-)

73
Darrell G0HVQ