[UK-CONTEST] CQWW Phone G4IIY M/2 HP

Ian Fugler G4IIY zen90387 at zen.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 04:37:57 EST 2007

Prompted by Dave, here is a résumé of our efforts

Set the station up for Multi-2.  Usual, but modest set-up consisting of a
tri-bander at 45 feet, verticals and inverted L for 160m.

Unfortunately, Colin G6LSO was busy at work all day on Saturday and could
not join me until after lunch on Sunday.  So it was single op for most of
the contest.  I empathise with Andy G4PIQ.  I have two boys under five and,
although the shack is some way from the house (complete with its own bed),
combining contesting and family commitments is very challenging.  So, the
log shows I started at 02:00 and then there are large gaps after 09:30 until
22:00.  (Boys in bed by 19:00 but meal with the wife, etc. !)

For the first time in CQWW, I did it totally on S&P.  I did have a fifteen
minute run on 15m on Sunday morning, when the rate hit 300 and stayed there.
But then I was called to fix a bike and recover four cans of diesel that had
been liberated from the garage.  I focused on turning the bandmap blue (bit
like my language after discovering the boys trying to top up the diesel cans
with water) , i.e. work all the multipliers.  It was a good lesson learned
and I really must try to resist the temptation to run in CQWW CW, whenever I
find a gap.

When Colin arrived, he concentrated on 15m and, again, did it all on S&P.
We left him in peace and had an enjoyable afternoon in the park.

  160:   60     5       29
   80:  186     9       53
   40:  216    15       77
   20:  390    25       97
   15:  354    21       90
   10:  171    11       40
 ------------------------------
Total: 1377    86      386

Total Score = 1,038,400

A few memorable moments, like working OA4SS on 20m on Sunday at 23:35.  He
initially refused to believe it was G4, as he had not heard EU for several
hours.  I went on to work a few new South American mults in the last half
hour on 20m, as the band re-opened.

I did work a few Gs, but I called them.  They were all multipliers, except a
few late on Sunday evening on 80m who I called just to say hello.  I would
never discourage any G to call me, even if I don't need the mult.  I worked
one G for a mult, who told me it was worth zero points.  I said that I knew,
but needed the mult.  On working me, he discovered that I was a mult for him
as well.

I agree that condx seemed better than we might have expected.  10m and 15m
were exceptional.  I agree that 40m was hard work.  The 7100-7200 segment
seemed better used than in previous years.  But the encroachment in to the
CW part of 40m was a bit embarrassing this year.  There were stations
running in the bottom 10khz and nearly all the big Ws were listening down on
around 7007/7008.  That seems a little too low in the band to me, but I did
call them on those frequencies and so am equally guilty.

Looking forward to CQWW CW, family allowing.

Ian G4IIY