[UK-CONTEST] 80m Sprint Contests

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Mon Sep 10 16:28:11 EDT 2007

Hi Graham

Firstly we're hoping that the publicity will let most people know that
the QSY is part of the contest.

In practical terms, it will happen that after I have called someone and
worked him, I may immediately be called by another station and I will go
on to work him. After this happens a few times, the perennial CQer might
get the message that this isn't liddish behaviour, but a feature of the
contest. Or he might at least be prompted to go and check the rules on
the web!

This is where the exchange format helps. If when tuning around I hear
G4ZZZ M0AAA 001 TOM
- then I can expect next to hear
M0AAA 002 BILL G4ZZZ
- and as soon as I hear TU (or SSB equivalent) then I know I can drop in
my call and it will be G4ZZZ, not M0AAA, on the frequency. The point is
that by sending your call at the end of the exchange, you are indicating
that you are the caller, not the CQer, and so you will be hanging around
on frequency to make the next QSO.

This means you may need to program an extra function key in your logging
program for the CW event, so that both exchange formats are covered.
Unless you're a TR fan, when I understand it can all be done with the
enter key. But don't wait until the heat of the contest to find out how!

Dave G4BUO