[UK-CONTEST] Underground cables

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 1 07:14:44 EDT 2008

I have a short (4 ft) run of 2.5" plastic drain pipe to the base of the
tower. At present it has a couple of URM 67's an H100, a half inch hard line
(unknown manufacture), LDF 4-50 and a couple of control cables in it and
there's still a little space left.
I use 135 degree bends to bring the cable above ground, cables go round
these much easier than 90 degree bends.
If I was going to use LDF5-50 I would go for a pipe with a much larger
diameter but then you could put this cable straight in the ground.
One word of caution, if the duct runs downhill directly into the shack
consider what happens if water gets into it.....(memories of a flooded
equipment hut at Stonehaven radio many years ago)
I certainly would not put a connector on a cable before pulling it through
the duct and never ever use horrible 'UHF' (or as Ian White calls them CQ)
connectors outside (or anywhere else if it comes to that).
I can't understand why amateur equipment manufacturers fit these connectors
even on equipment with limited rear panel space, is it just to save cost or
do they really think that this is what we want? (I even prefer Belling Lee
TV connectors).
Incidentally RFS http://www.rfsworld.com/ manufacture coax of similar spec
to Andrew but at about half the price (from memory LDF 4-50 equivalent for
about £1/m) that's if a source of scrap ends from cellular installations
can't be found.

73...

Ken G3LVP

--