[UK-CONTEST] NON-ROPOCO

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 7 13:45:27 EDT 2008

Actually this is an excellent opportunity for HFCC to be proactive in
establishing and promoting a "ROLOCO" event ( many a true word......) on
a European level. With the best will in the world, the postcode format
is never likely to hack it outside the UK. Locators however are truly
universal, and enjoy the advantage that they have a standard format- viz
LLnnLL-, so you k-n-o-w if you copied it incorrectly format-wise, and
the worst excesses( though amusing) of mangled post codes should be
avoided.

I suggested to HFCC some time ago ( whilst I was adjudicator) that one
of the ROPOCO events be converted to Sprint format, but the silence was
deafening. A newly established ROLOCO event should enable this without
accusations of tinkering with something that ain't broke. Our European
cousins are already well versed  in the Sprint format, and the
change-averse Brits could learn on the fly.

Possibly 40m would be a better choice for such an event, and would avoid
upsetting the OF brigade on 80m. Timing would clearly need some
consideration. I'd also propose a 100w limit to avoid the domination of
certain events by >1500w stations in certain parts of Europe. A trophy
would be be a good promotional tool, and I k-n-o-w that there is a
number of redundant trophies just gathering dust at RSGB HQ, e.g. the
7Mhz DX cups.

How about it HFCC?

73

Clive