[UK-CONTEST] 144MHz AFS contest this Sunday.

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 18:56:56 EST 2008

--- On Thu, 4/12/08, pete <psl at plcg.org> wrote:

> The 144MHz AFS contest takes place this Sunday from
> 0900-1700 GMT
>
> Full details can be found here
> http://www.vhfcc.org/cgi-bin/contest_rules.pl?contest=afs144MHz
>
> Exchange is RST , Serial Number (starting at 001) and a 6
> character (e.g.IO91AA) locator

Sorry Peter, not interested as the rules do nothing to encourage activity by members of clubs affiliated to the RSGB throughout the UK.
This could be an event that should attract participation from clubs the length and breadth of the UK but there is no club incentive.
It is a real shame because it has the potential to reach grass roots club members and possibly create some local club rivalry....all in good fun!
In a contest such as AFS, just running with "Points per kilometre" lacks innovation and continues with the "South East Effect" which is killing participation from elsewhere in the UK. In the 2007 144MHz AFS, the best DX for over 50% of entrants was with contacts overseas. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it does identify that in a contest were one is expecting to work AFS's of the RSGB, many stations are looking away from the UK to fill their boots with points.

I was therefore not too surprised to establish the following:

Open Section
IO91 4 entrants (50%)
IO81 2
IO91 1
IO82 1

Single Fixed
IO91 14 entrants
JO01  9
IO92  6
IO81  4
IO80  2
JO03  1
JO02  1
IO90  1
IO82  1
IO83  1

Quite abysmal interest and geographically poor in spread.
I'm sure others could suggest ways to improve it but for myself I would create a multiplier aspect for working an AFS member.
Adding the clubs name or initials to the exchange would suffice.
Contacts with overseas and non-club members would have no multiplier basis but would gain the PPKm.

73 Ray GM4CXM IO75TW WoSARS