[UK-CONTEST] G3TBK 80m CC SSB

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Feb 5 05:46:11 EST 2008

On 5 Feb 2008 at 10:11, Dave Cree wrote:

> Diabolical conditions as usual at this time of the year for this
> event. Noise here about S7 at best, peaking S9 at times, and very few
> short skip signals. Did not even hear anyone else in my club!

Well since I encouraged a couple of our club members to go on and
have a go I thought I would at least tune around and see all the
activity. Or in fact lack of it. Interesting conditions to say the
least, s9 noise which I understand was not local and plenty of wide
open space. Most of the activity here in Bracknell seemed to be in
the lower band segment. GM3POI was doing great guns but the only
others heard were local (best DX Reading...). Not sure I would have
done very well on QRP CW in those conditions, please scrap that
suggestion!!

I used the exercise as an opportunity to realign the SSB filters in
my K2 - I don't have the SSB adaptor fitted (so couldn't transmit!)
and have really not bothered too much with the filter settings. The
LSB ones were way out and for some reason I had set the widest filter
to 1.8kHz so everybody sounded pretty ropey. A quick tweak with
Spectrogram improved it no end - but didn't bring in any other
signals!!

Not sure if Richard G4ZFE monitors this reflector, he lives around
400 metres from me but was only just about s9 on the meter (M0XDF
half a mile away was end stop) and sounded somewhat distorted
(possible over enthusiastic speech processing). Were you using the K3
Richard and what sort of antenna??

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com