[UK-CONTEST] GU0SUP WPX

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Tue Feb 12 05:10:10 EST 2008

Hi all,

This was my best ever contest entry! I wanted to make a big effort this
year, and try to make a big score, but that really depended on conditions.
I wasn't sure that 15m would open too much, let alone 10m, but as mults
count only once, that wouldn't really be so important.
Last year, I made 533 Q's for around 627k points, so I wanted to try and
beat that.

Well, I succeeded, and by a huge margin! I had 400 Q's logged when I called
it a night on Saturday, and went off to bed. I knew that it would be hard to
find new ones to work on Sunday, but 600 Q's seemed to be an easy target, so
that was what I aimed for when I got up on Sunday morning.
Then I hit the 600 mark just after my Sunday roast, so I set a new target of
700. I reached that at around 1615UTC, and noted the score was close to the
1 million points, so I set yet another target to hit the 1m mark.
I did that with something like 750, so decided that 800 was a good target to
aim for.
Somewhere around 1800UTC on Sunday, I had a go at CQ'ing on 40m, and the
rate was amazing.

I have to say a big thankyou to Andrei YN2S, who pulled me out of the noise
on
80m for a new band-slot for me, and also to V31GW and NP3U for  new ones on
80m. And what a surprise to log NP3U on all 5 bands! They were my one and
only 10m contact! I also got 7Z1SJ on 15m for a new one there too.

So here is my best ever contest entry:
Band 	QSOs 	QSO points	Prefixes
80m: 	 126	      532	  78
40m:	 249	     1028	  94
20m:	 442	     1035	 249
15m:	  34	       84	              13
10m:	   1	        3	               0
Totals:	852     	    2682	434
Total:	1163988
Op time - about 26 hours overall, including lunch and comfort breaks!

I know this doesn't seem to be such a huge score, especially when compared
to some, but with my small and low antennas, this is an amazing achievment
for me. And I was very surprised to make over 100 Q's on 80m!

73 all, and thanks for the fun!

Phil GU0SUP