[UK-CONTEST] AFS SSB G0DVJ

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Jan 20 11:13:44 EST 2008

Best result I ever had - and the event fell on my birthday this
year! ... result mainly due to new QTH and Full Wave loop antenna and
some decent conditions - not high enough at 29ft but better than
anything before and a much lower noise location - antenna will be
higher later and still have many other optimisations to make with the
antenna systems here.  Also poor rig here - no 1KMP or anything like
it - and did barely any SO2V so plenty of improvements to make.  But
claiming 359 Qs after removing dupes.   There did seem to be more
people trying to work me twice or three times this time than in
previous ones.

I also had the pleasure of a german speaking jammer for about 45 mins
which lowered my rate a little in the second hour.  He started with
"no contesting on this frequency" in his best english, then left his
auto CW keyer on for me with the same message and then resorted to
music before moving on to annoy someone else presumably.

Didn't hear SJJ unusually.  Held a frequency until I went S&P about
20 mins before the end.  Most other regulars worked plus an
encouraging number of Intermediate and Foundation licence holders.
Still working to G here towards the end when the continental / east
european stations came up too.   Hourly rates were 137,106,76,40.
Actually very similar numbers to Graham FNL though his antennas much
higher and better radio so reasonably pleased here with a shack in
progress.

CW event last weekend was also fun ... especially good to hear so
much GM activity.

Thanks for all the QSOs.
73
Jonathan G0DVJ